Friday, May 23, 2014

"Now THAT'S the way you play guitar"

The title of this post comes from something I said to my friend Jennifer during Death of Samantha's set at Mr. Small's last week, when they opened for Guided by Voices (and nearly blew them out of the water in terms of delivery and finesse). Doug Gillard's guitar work was astouding: one handed guitar solos, fat power chords, picked open chords. The man has it down.

I was hoping to follow this praise with a link to a review of the whole show that I wrote for Blurt, but it's not up on the website yet. However, I hadn't posted my profile on Mr. Gillard and his latest release, so now you can check that out right here.

In other Shanley On Music news, I interviewed none other than Peter Tork of the Monkees on Wednesday. I didn't think it was going to come off, as past attempts to secure a Monkees interview eluded me. The band is coming to town (actually to Greensburg) next week, and I hope to have the whole interview transcribed and posted here within the next day or so. Keep looking. Teaser: I avoided typical Monkees questions, and Peter was a really great interview. Nice fella.

Beyond that, bad allergies knocked me down for a day this week. There's a crap ton of reviews I have to write by Tuesday. Gotta run.

No comments: